Thursday, May 21, 2015

My Reading Life.

1. Did I meet my reading goal?

                Although I didn't meet my goal of 16 books, I came pretty close with eight books and an enormous textbook that I completed. 

2. So, what does a girl like me read?
     
               Honestly, being forced to read just made me resent reading so much more, and despite that I  am actually very glad I was. As paradoxical as that may seem, if I hadn't been forced to read I would have never opened such wonderful books (listed below):
                  

  • Midwinter BLOOD by Marcus Sedgwick
  • The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
  • The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
  • He's Just Not That Into You by Liz Tuccillo and Greg Brehrendt 
  • The Room by Emma Donoghue 
  • The Canon by Natalie Angier
  • America's History
  • Unwind by Neal Shusterman (Abandoned, but it was a great book and I will be finishing it)
3. Which book was the sweetest?
                 
             The Devil Wears Prada  was my favorite book out of all ten books listed. Maybe it was simply because I hope to one day be consumed by the world of fashion and turn into the very mouth that ate me, or maybe it was the unexpected ending. Also besides those two factors, a nice cherry on top was Andrea getting free designer clothes. Although the events in the book were just fictional, I still felt a rush of joy and love as if I were the one actually receiving those precious garments.

4. Which book was the most brain busting?

              That would definitely have to be The Canon.  Although I loved learning interesting facts like why my hair seems to defy gravity after wearing my beautifully woven beanie, the process was a lot more challenging than most books I've read. To add the kerosene to the fire, Angier mixed in higher level vocabulary with technical scientific names for things such as heat.

5. What's my reading superpower?

              I've grown tremendously with my ability to spot the rhetorical devices authors use to put emphases on certain aspects that are clues to the overall theme.

6. What's my kryptonite? 

             I'm still very weak when I have to read quickly, so I definitely need to improve my reading speed to a much faster pace.

7. Did I need guidance during my reading journey?

             The reading conferences with my teacher were really helpful with making me aware of my areas that still needed improvement. Although I could give a prize winning summary of the books I was currently reading, when she asked me certain questions to see evidence of thinking as I read, my eyes opened up to what I needed to work on as I read because I couldn't answer all her questions correctly.

8. Who did I turn to as a support group during my reading journey?

             Being apart of a reading community filled with my AVID peers was really beneficial because, for the first, I was actually able to have an intellectual conversation with people just as into it as I was. Also with other readers, like myself, I could see another trusted perspective on the same or similar book topics and themes.

9.

                                    
He's Just Not That Into You book cover by Chelsea Dagger

No comments:

Post a Comment